The American people deserve an urgent, strong, and professional response to the growing public health and economic crisis caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. President Biden believes the federal government must act quickly and forcefully to help protect and support our families, small businesses, first responders, and essential caregivers to help us meet this challenge, those most vulnerable to the health and economic impacts, and our broader scope. Communities – Not blaming others or saving businesses.
The Biden Harris administration will always:
- Listen to the science
- Ensure that public health decisions are made by public health professionals
- Promoting trust, transparency, common purpose and accountability in our government
President Biden and Vice President Harris have a seven-point plan for defeating COVID-19.
Ensure that all Americans have regular, reliable, and free testing.
- Double the number of test drive locations.
- Invest in next generation testing, including home tests and spot tests, so we can increase our testing capacity in large numbers.
- Stand on an epidemiological testing board like the Roosevelt War Production Board. It’s how we’ve made tanks, planes, uniforms and supplies in record time, and how we’ll produce and distribute tens of millions of tests.
- Create the United States Public Health Jobs Corps to mobilize at least 100,000 Americans across the country with the support of trusted local organizations in the most at-risk communities to perform culturally competent approaches to contact tracing and protection of at-risk populations.
Fix PPE problems forever.
President Biden takes charge and gives countries, cities, tribes and territories the vital supplies they need.
- Full use of the Defense Production Act to ramp up production of masks, face shields, and other personal protective equipment so that the national supply of personal protective equipment exceeds demand, and our stores and stocks—particularly in the hardest-hit areas that serve disproportionately vulnerable populations—are renewed.
- Immediately build toward a future-proof, resilient, U.S.-sourced capability to ensure that we are not dependent on other nations in crisis.
Provide clear, consistent, evidence-based guidance on how communities are responding to the pandemic – and the resources available to schools, small businesses, and families to make it happen.
- Social distancing is not a light switch. It is a tablet. President Biden will direct the CDC to provide specific, evidence-based guidance on how to raise or lower demand relative to the level of risk and the degree of viral spread in the community, including when to open or close certain businesses, bars, restaurants, and other spaces when they open or close schools, and what steps they have to take to make classrooms and facilities safe; appropriate restrictions on the size of gatherings; When are stay-at-home restrictions issued?
- Create a revolving fund for state and local governments to help prevent budget shortfalls that could cause states to face sharp cutbacks in teachers and first responders.
- Call on Congress to pass the emergency package to ensure schools have the additional resources they need to effectively adapt to COVID-19.
- Provide a “restart package” that helps small businesses cover operating costs safely, including things like plexiglass and personal protective equipment.
Plan for the effective and equitable distribution of treatments and vaccines – because development is not enough if they are not distributed effectively.
- He invested $25 billion in a plan to manufacture and distribute a vaccine that ensures it reaches every American for free.
- Ensure that policy plays no role in determining the safety and effectiveness of any vaccine. The Biden-Harris administration will guide the following three principles: task scientists with all decisions regarding safety and efficacy; Publicly release clinical data on any vaccine approved by the Food and Drug Administration; Delegating professional staff to write a written report for public review and allowing them to appear before Congress and speak publicly without censorship.
- Make sure everyone – not just the wealthy and well-connected – in America gets the protection and care they deserve, and consumers aren’t subjected to price gouging as new drugs and treatments come to market.
Protect older Americans and other people at high risk.
President Biden recognizes that older Americans and others at high risk are most at risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Create a COVID-19 Racial and Ethnic Disparities Task Force, as proposed by Vice President Harris, to provide recommendations and oversee disparities in public health and economic response. At the end of this health crisis, you will transition to a permanent task force to combat the racial disparities of infectious diseases.
- Create a Nationwide Pandemic Dashboard that Americans can check in real time to help them gauge whether local dispatch is actively happening in their zip codes. This information is essential to help all individuals, especially older Americans and others at high risk, understand the level of precautions to take.
Rebuild and expand defenses to anticipate, prevent and mitigate pandemic threats, including those from China.
- Immediately restore the White House National Security Council’s Department of Global Health Security and Biodefense, originally established by the Obama and Biden administrations.
- Immediately restore our relationship with the World Health Organization, which – while not perfect – is essential to coordinating a global response during a pandemic.
- Re-launch and strengthen the USAID pathogen tracking program PREDICT.
- Expand the number of disease investigators deployed to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) so we have eyes and ears on the ground, including rebuilding the office in Beijing.
Carry out mask mandates nationwide by working with governors and mayors and asking the American people to do what they do best: escalate in times of crisis.
Experts agree that tens of thousands of lives could be saved if Americans wore masks. President Biden will continue to call:
- Every American should wear a mask when they are around people outside their home.
- Every ruler has to make it mandatory in his state.
- Local authorities should also make the support of state orders mandatory.
Once we get past this pandemic, we must make sure that the millions of Americans who are experiencing long-term side effects from COVID do not face higher premiums or be denied health insurance because of this new, pre-existing condition. The Biden-Harris administration will work to ensure that protections are protected for those with pre-existing conditions obtained with Obamacare. They will reduce healthcare costs and expand access to affordable, high-quality healthcare through a public, Medicare-like option.
Read the National Strategy for COVID-.19 The response and the pandemic preparedness