Household budgets are feeling tight, with inflation hitting a four-decade high in June. And with the prices of food, gas, and other everyday goods rising faster than average incomes, many people have turned to food banks for help.
Weekly orders for food stamps in Washington state are back again, although the number is still below the total for 2020.
Food insecurity is most acute in South Seattle and South King County, where more than one in five households use food stamps. Food banks in Auburn and Tokwila say they are still serving hundreds of families and are busier than ever.
Below is a list of food banks in the Seattle and King County area. Food banks also accept cash donations and sometimes donations of hygiene or non-expired food items.
Look at each website’s specific policies before donating.
Free Meals and Food Banks in the Seattle Area
The City of Seattle recommends two locations to look for a food bank or meal program:
Seattle Food Commission: Here’s a map where you can search for places that offer free groceries. Some sites offer additional items; Clothing, diapers, and pet food may be available, as well as community resources. Visit: seattlefoodcommittee.org/find-a-food-bank/
- Racing Center: 2524 16th Ave. S., Thursday and Friday 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., 206-973-4401
- Food Bank @ Saint Mary: 611 20th Ave. S., Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 206-338-7215
- Pike Market Food Bank: 1531 Western Ave. , Tuesday and Thursday 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Wednesday 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., 206-626-6462
- Providence Regina House: 8201 10 Ave. S., Ste. 6, Thursday 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., 206-763-9204
- Food Bank Rainier Valley: 9021 Rainier Ave. S., Tue-Sat 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., 206-723-4105
- SODO Community Market in Northwest Harvest: 1915 Fourth Avenue S.And the Monday 1:30 pm to 7:30 pm, Wednesday 8 am to 2 pm, Friday 8 am to 2 pm, 206-625-0755
- Salvation Army Food Bank: 1101 Pike Street, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., and Thursdays 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., 206-447-9944
- Food Bank Saint Vincent de Paul: 5972 4th Ave. S., Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 206-686-5260
- White Center Food Bank: 10829 Eighth Ave. SW, Monday 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Wednesday and Friday 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and Thursday (seniors only) 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. 206-762-2848
- YWCA Central District Food Bank: 2820 Cherry Street, Wednesday 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., 206-946-2795
Within the Seattle Food Commission is the Meal Partnership Alliance, which also contains a map of locations that offer free meals. The map also includes additional information about standards, when meals are served, and contact information. Visit: contractspartnership.org/meal-serviceprogram-information/
Seattle Department of Human Services Contains a PDF of the free meal list. You can find it here.
Food Banks in King County
King County has an extensive list of over 40 food banks and links to their donation policies here.
- Issaquah . Food Bank: 179 First Ave. SE, Issaquah, Monday through Thursday 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. (every two weeks), 425-392-4123
- Kent food bank: 515 W. Harrison Street, St. 107, Kent, Wed and Fri 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Thursday (Seniors only) 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., 253-520-3550
- Edmunds food bank: 828 Caspers St., L100, Edmonds, Mondays 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Tuesdays 9 a.m. to 12 noon, 425-778-5833.
- Hopelink Bellevue: 14812 Main Street, Bellevue, Monday and Thursday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Friday 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. 425-943-7555
- Hopelink Shoreline: 17837 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline, Tuesdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Wednesdays from 1 pm to 4 pm and from 5 pm to 7 pm; Thursday from 1 pm to 4 pm; Friday 10am-1pm, 206-440-7300
- Hopelink Kirkland / Northshore: 11011 120th Ave. NE, Kirkland, Mondays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday from 1 pm to 4 pm and from 5 pm to 7 pm; Wednesdays from 10 am to 3 pm; Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 425-889-7880
- Hope Link Redmond: 8990 154th Ave. NE, RedmondMonday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Tuesdays from 10 am to 3 pm; Wednesdays from 1 pm to 4 pm and from 5 pm to 7 pm; Thursday 10 a.m. to 12 noon, 425-869-6000
- Hopelink Snow Valley: 31957 E. Commercial Street. , cloveMonday from 4 pm to 6 pm, Wednesday from 3 pm to 5 pm, and Thursday from 10 am to 12 pm, 425-333-4163
green health Also contains a PDF of King County food bank locations with locations, phone numbers, and opening hours. You can find it here.