the main points
- Experts have discovered a healthy food choice that can silently spike blood sugar levels.
- An important ingredient in meals across cultures, white rice is a rich source of starch, fiber, and carbohydrates.
- However, for diabetics, it is not an ideal choice due to the risks of high blood sugar which can be harmful in the long run.
Is there a safe alternative to white rice?
Can brown rice help diabetics?
When it comes to diabetes management, the key is to eat whole grains as they help control blood sugar after a meal. According to a study published in Nutrition & Diabetes, eating brown rice in limited amounts can help reduce glucose levels after meals.
When it comes to the glycemic index, boiled brown rice is a medium glycemic index food with a score of 68. However, the American Medical Association warns against eating too much of it.
What are the symptoms of type 2 diabetes?
It is essential to monitor the symptoms of type 2 diabetes for timely diagnosis and good management as well. The main signs are:
- extreme thirst
- Urinating more than usual – especially at night
- Unexplained weight loss
- blurred vision
- Itching around the genitals
- Cuts and wounds that do not heal easily.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting any fitness program or making any changes to your diet.